Wontons are a savoury form of dumplings, and they are traditionally boiled and placed in soup. However, it is becoming increasingly popular to deep fry these delicious snacks and enjoy as a starter. These wontons are a great dish to make for a dinner party and you can also freeze them and enjoy them anothertime. I made these for my sister in law’s birthday and they were a GREAT success 🙂
what you’ll need is:
filo pastry or spring roll pastry (found in most meat shops)
minced meat/chicken/prawns (up to you)
and you only have to…
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C
2. lay the pastry flat onto your chopping boards. Depending on how big you want the wontons to be, cut out a square using a knife (doesn’t have to be a perfect square)
3. do not throw away any excess pastry (you will need it later)
4. keep about 5 layers of pastry out and place the rest back in the pack and cover with a towel so pastry does not harden.
5. peel off one layer of pastry and place a strip of the excess in the middle so if your mixture is juicy it won’t leak out from the bottom.
6. next place a teaspoon and half of your mixture in the center of the pastry.
7. then start to fold over the pastry over the mixture and if you want, hold it in place using a toothpick.
8. cut a thin strip of pastry using the excess, and dip one end in a mixture of 1 teaspoon of flour and 1 teaspoon of water until it forms a paste.
9. then wrap the strip around the pastry and hold in place using more paste.
10. continue making wontons until there is no more mixture left.
11. brush each wonton with olive oil and place in the oven for 15 minutes (golden brown). If you feel the bottom still needs to be cooked, I suggest you shallow fry them.
12. Enjoy and dip into sweet chili sauce!
Recipe for minced meat:
½ a kilo of special minced meat
1 red onion finely chopped
2 sprigs of mint leaves
½ tspn garam masala
½ tspn of salt
½ tspn of turmeric
½ tspn of red chili flakes
½ tspn of paprika powder
once meat was cooked, I placed hot charcoal in the middle of the meat in a pan on top of foil, poured ½ tspsn on oil and placed the lid on top and left it for an hour.