It’s not christmas lunch unless there’s hot apple pie and vanilla ice cream to go round.
what you’ll need is…
x12 mince pie foils from here
round cookie cutter from here
star cutter from here
ready roll shortcrust pastry (or if you fancy making it yourself)
x1 pack of bramley apples
and you only have to…
- Heat the oven to 180°C
- Meanwhile peel all the apples and cut into small pieces.
- Then simmer the apples with the lemon juice and 3 table spoons of water in a large pan until soft.
- Add the sugar and 1 tspn cinnamon and mixed spice to the cooked apples.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Roll out half the pastry and using the second biggest cookie cutter cut out circles and place them inside each foil firmly pressing it all around the edges.
- Put the cooled, cooked apple mixture into the pastry case.
- Using the same cookie cutter and cut out another circle to make a lid for the pie and using the star cutter to cut out a star in the middle (but keep the star too to stick on some pies)
- Damp the edges of the pastry in the dish with a little cold water, cover with the lid and press the edges firmly together.
- Brush the top of the pie with milk and place in cupcake tin
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold with cream, ice cream or custard sauce.